My love for chaat is never ending. Be it pani puri, ragda pattice, shev puri, dahi papdi, bhel puri or anything else; you name it and I can binge on it forever. I am sure if the Gods would taste any of these, they would be ready to leave the celestial nymphs for it! Chaat can have different versions, right from being a low-calorie diet food, to downright not-so healthy and heavy fried food. Today I want to share my version of making a very special chaat dish. I am from Nagpur and we get some awesome Ragda Pattice there. This is also known as ‘Chole Pattice’ in other parts of the country. Living in USA, you miss food the most. Especially the taste you get in your country or hometown. I have tried several versions of this before I found the tastiest one. Here is my tried and tested Ragda Pattice recipe.
(Prep Time- 90 mins, Servings 2-3 )
Potatoes – 3 to 4
Dry green peas (Vatana) – 1 cup
Tamarind – 5
Dates – 4 to 5
Jalapeño Peppers – 2
Cilantro/Coriander – 7 stems
Onion – 2 chopped
Tomatoes – 2 chopped
Ginger – ½ inch
Garlic – 8 cloves
Red Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
Mango powder – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Cooking oil – 1 tablespoon
Yogurt – 2 tablespoons
Jaggery – 1 tablespoon
Salt – to taste
All-purpose flour – 1 tablespoon
Sev for garnishing
- Soak green peas overnight.
- Boil potatoes, peel and mash them.
- Add ginger, garlic and cilantro paste to the mashed Potatoes.
- Chop onions, tomatoes and cilantro
- Take yogurt beat it well.
Tamarind Chutney: – (Prep Time: – 10 Min)
To make dates and tamarind chutney, soak tamarind and seedless dates in water for 5 hours. Remove seeds from tamarind and mash it well in grinder. Add 1 tablespoon of salt, jaggery as per taste.
Green Chutney: – (Prep Time: – 10 Min)
To make green chutney add green chilies or jalapeños with garlic, ginger, cilantro and grind with mango powder and salt as per taste.
Note: – Ready to use Chutneys are available in stores. If you are in the US, I recommend Shan brand Tamarind Chutney and Mirch Masala Brand for the Green Chutney or Swad Brand for both the chutneys.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker add mustard seeds add chopped onions and ginger garlic paste and sauté till golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sauté till it oozes oil.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, gram masala and stir well.
- Add green peas and salt to taste. Mix well, add water and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistle.
- Take the mashed potatoes (we have already added ginger, garlic or cilantro paste to it) add all-purpose flour to it and mix well.
- Make round balls and flatten them with hand to make it like a flat thick disc (Patty).
- Heat oil in a pan stir fry the patty till it is golden brown from both side.
- For garnish take a bowl add patties add green peas gravy then add tamarind chutney, green chutney, beaten yogurt, Salt to taste, add onions, tomatoes, Sev and cilantro and serve hot.