I refer to Keto diet as ketolicious because personally I don’t find it quite delicious. After reading my first article on Keto diet, you guys might have realized that I am not a big fan of this diet especially in terms of weight loss and healthy living. However, since it is everywhere in the fitness world, I thought of giving in few inputs that might help those following it, trying to make delicious for them.
Thinking of going on a trendy Keto diet? Let me assure you, it’s not going to be easy. Maintaining and struggling with choice of foods and recipes is going to be a task for you. However, if you are really dedicated to get on it, let me guide you with few important thing you need to know about it.
To start off with, getting a proper hang on what to eat to maintain a state of Ketosis in your body is essential. Choice of food and ingredients is the major concern in following a Keto diet. You need to have a complete knowledge on foods that need to be taken and those that needs to be avoided. So here is the precious food list that aspires to have a place in your kitchen to refer whenever preparing a ketolicious meal.
- Fats and Oils – Lead actor
Fats are lead actors in your story because they will give you maximum calories. Now, choosing right type is what is challenging. There are good fats and bad fats. Always choose fats, Monounsaturated fats (MUFA) and polyunsaturated fats (PUFA). Trans fats are bad fats and a complete no for your body.
List of fats and oils that can be used:
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Avocado oil
- Cocoa butter
- MCT oil
- Vegetable oil (cold pressed preferably)
- Fish oil
- Fatty fish
- Egg yolks
Proteins: Lead Actress
Like the role of actresses that is quite balanced in every story, role of proteins in Keto diet need to be maintained as well. Working on proteins can be tricky sometimes as over consumption may lower the level of Ketosis. Balance the proteins in your recipes by adding fatty sauces or dips.
List of protein that can be used:
- Organ meats
- Lamb and Goat meat
- Bacon and Sausages
- Nuts butter like Peanut and almond butter
Carbohydrates – the villain
Beware of the carbs that you are having. Staying away from these villains is very essential. Always remember that higher the amount of carbs in an ingredient, reduce the quantity to consume. Consuming proper vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds and dairy products can help you maintain your carbohydrates level.
So here is a quick list for each of these food group:
- Vegetables: Artichoke, Cabbage, Lettuce, Beans, Mushrooms, Bell peppers, Broccoli, cauliflower, Alfalfa sprouts, Celery, Chives, Cucumber, Radishes, Onions, Olives, Parsley, Spinach, Zucchini, Spring onions.
- Fruits: Avocado and Berries.
- Dairy Products: Full Cream, Mayonnaise, Cottage cheese, Cheddar cheese, Mozerilla cheese, Parmesan cheese, feta cheese, Swiss cheese, yogurt.
- Nuts and oil-seeds: Almond, Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Pine nuts, Brazil nuts, Flax seeds, Chia seeds, Poppy seeds.
- Water and Beverages – Supporting role.
Water and beverages generally take a supporting role as they are quite neglected. Feeling thirty and dehydration is common when following Keto diet. Staying hydrated by simply consuming plain water also helps to overcome dehydration. However there are other beverages that can be opted to meet the water requirements. A Keto coffee is a much talked beverage and people are consuming it by adding fats to it. But remember to limit the intake of caffeine to 2 cups a day.
Here is a quick list of beverage options:
- Flavored water
- Tea/coffee without sugar
- Almond milk / coconut milk / Cashew milk / Hemp milk
- Coconut water
- Alcoholic drinks (in limited quantities) like dark liquors, gin, vodka, brandy, tequila, red wine.
- Carbonated water
- Bone broth.
Apart from the major food items that you are consuming when on Keto diet, there are other things that are important as well. Here are a few things that you need to know:
- Spices and condiments that you are using in your meals must be used effectively as some of them are high in carbohydrate content. Also the ready to eat pre-mix spices have some amount of sugars in them, so avoid using them.
- Sugar is a major concern with Keto diet. This can be replaced with Stevia which is a best sugar alternative without any side effects.
- Always keep a check on nutrition labels of the food that you are buying. There are a lot of hidden carbohydrates that may trick you. So look out for these villains as well.
- Opt for fresh and organic food instead of canned and processed foods as they are high on sugars as well.
So finally, you got the list of items that can find a place in your kitchen if you are planning to start your ketolicious story. Remember to take care of your body in a very balanced way giving some space for healthy living as well. Start your Keto diet and stay tuned for some delicious Keto recipes in my next article.
PS: think smartly before starting your ketolicious story.